THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: 'I Still Can't SHOOT Straight' by Saif

TGF Expert Panel

With my hopes for a comparatively high end accurate range pistol diminishing fast, I tried my hand at the range with my CZ75 SP01 Shadow on both 25th and 26th December. I found out that I really needed 'that' high end handgun!

I did make a 1 inch group though from 15 mtrs.., in the third target below (read the text below the target)

Below are first two strings from 10 meters.

Handgun - CZ75 SP01 Shadow
Ammo - Wolf 9mm
Distance - 10 m
Technique - Deliberate fire, standing with both hands
Target - 25m Precision Shooting
Score - 185/200 (92.50%)

Ammo - Barnaul 9mm
Distance - 10 m
Score - 171/200 (85.5%)

Having seen that my shooting wasn't getting any straighter, I thought of going to 15 mtrs, which proved very 'un-straightly', to my disliking
Ammo - Barnaul 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 146/200 (73%)

You can see the 1" group that I mentioned in the start, in the above target in the fliers in the 3 & 4 ring at 7'o clock :mrgreen:

Ammo - Barnaul 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 128/150 (85%)

I thought of going upto 25mtrs, but didnt want to score bulls in targets of adjacent shooters :lol: hence ended the day then.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Post subject: Re: "I can't Shoot Straight" by SAIF

TGF Expert Panel

Below are results from the second day, 26th December. Having seen some real good shooting by our young members Zain and Haider, I am more encouraged to fight against the odds and try to shoot straight...

First tested some JHPs
Ammo - Armscor JHP 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 118/150 (78.70%)

Shifted to FMJs
Ammo - Barnaul 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 153/200 (76.50%)

Too many fliers. Perhaps that was due some distraction :think:

Ammo - Barnaul 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 157/200 (78.50%)

There was marginal improvement, but that is the best I could do in the given set of conditions. I was firing alone at the range today, and I have concluded that this must have been the distraction. I hope I dont have to reserve the 'straighter' shooting for 'other' ventures only...

Post subject: Re: "I can't Shoot Straight" by SAIF

Sniper

Kya Baat hai Saif Bro,Nice Shooting ;)

Post subject: Re: "I Can't SHOOT Straight" by SAIF

Master at Arms

Saif bhai, very nice effort. It's only when one shoots on the paper target that he comes to know about his shooting weaknesses. Don't be disheartened, you are doing ok. Improvement will not come overnight, will take some practice and time.

I would suggest you just keep concentrating on the basics with perseverance.ie, Focus on the front sight tip, trigger control, breathing control. Good luck. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Thats some great shooting Saif bro. When i started off i cudnt hit a targets like this at 10 mtrs. Keep practicing, practice on the tips KBW sb has given. You follow his advice to the dot, trust me, you will see an improvement very fast. But rest assured this is beautiful shooting.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Don't worry Saif sahab. With such good start you will soon be shooting very accurately if you listen and act on senior's advice.

Any FTF/FTEs during above sessions?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

ZA sb, i dont think there could be FTE/FTF. He was firing a CZ SP 01 shadow afterall.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@KBW sb, thank you for the encouragement and the advice. i will update you on the progress and my observations.
@Zaher, Fahad Khalid and Zargham Alvi brothers, thankyou for the feedback and encouragement.

@ZA bro, no issue whatsoever. I fired wolf, barnaul, POF2Z (2009 lot, obtained from Chaudhery arms Lahore) and Armscor JHPs. All went through smoothly. 75 on day one, and without cleaning or re-lubing, another 57 on day two.
@Fahad Khalid bro, with CZ75 family, and good clones of CZ75, the chamber tolerances are very tight. This means that reloaded ammunition which has not been properly 'resized' and has dimensions beyond standard 9mm ammo specs will cause feeding problems, and the slide will not get back into full battery. I have checked this out on CZ75 Shadow, Phantom, Rami as well as Canik 55, ZiganaT and the infamous Taurus 24/7 (this 24/7 fired all other ammo flawlessly). They all gave identical problem with only and only this particular ammo, and worked flawlessly with other ammunition at the same time. I think this was discussed in some other thread on the forum, and ZA bro must be referring to that discussion.

As a lot of input has been given on Saif brother's shooting, I would now come to the point which seem to have been missed by others! :?

Saif bro you mentioned a 'Distraction' in your second target post! What kind of distraction was it?? :think:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
As a lot of input has been given on Saif brother's shooting, I would now come to the point which seem to have been missed by others! :?

Saif bro you mentioned a 'Distraction' in your second target post! What kind of distraction was it?? :think:

MR bro, the 'distraction' was also mentioned in the end of the post...

Quote:
There was marginal improvement, but that is the best I could do in the given set of conditions. I was firing alone at the range today, and I have concluded that this must have been the distraction. I hope I dont have to reserve the 'straighter' shooting for 'other' ventures only...

:lol:

Oh ho ... too bad!!

I thought the Distraction was something like Fahad Khalid bro experiences at the Karsaz range!! ;)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Oh ho ... too bad!!

I thought the Distraction was something like Fahad Khalid bro experiences at the Karsaz range!! ;)

will like to hear from FK bro. maybe i can avoid being distracted based on his experience.

By the way, as all would have seen in the target pics, what could be the reasons of shots in 1,2,3,4,5 rings at 6'o'clock and 7'o'clock and sometimes at 12'o'clock?

TGF Managing Committee

Sigh. Distractions. You cant live without them, and you certainly cant shoot with them.

Profile E-mail  

fahad khalid wrote:
Sigh. Distractions. You cant live without them, and you certainly cant shoot with them.

:lol:

Very rightly said FK bro! ;)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Saif wrote:
All went through smoothly. 75 on day one, and without cleaning or re-lubing, another 57 on day two.

:o Any reasons for giving this treatment to your gun, brother??

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Saif bro, what I don't understand is that if you wanted a range weapon why didn't you go for the TS bro.

"The Strength of a nation is not measured by its ability to Wage Wars, rather its ability to prevent them"

"Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum"

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

mhrehman wrote:
Saif bro, what I don't understand is that if you wanted a range weapon why didn't you go for the TS bro.

mhrehman bro,
Shadow is the only Handgun I own now, I also carry it, and was advised against doing that with TS by seniors. Although I would have loved to have TS as a HD cum car-carry cum range weapon. Didn't want to miss all the CZ fun! However, after having seen the results of TS, I would rather opt for an even higher end weapon for range use in future, if I get good enough and start shooting straight!
If only I could avoid all the fliers in the targets above.

Site Admin

Saif wrote:
However, after having seen the results of TS, I would rather opt for an even higher end weapon for range use in future,

:shock: :think:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Dont want to say BUT

+1 to SA!! LOL :D

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

KBW wrote:
Saif wrote:
All went through smoothly. 75 on day one, and without cleaning or re-lubing, another 57 on day two.

:o Any reasons for giving this treatment to your gun, brother??

Sorry KBW sb, missed this post earlier.
After the range on day one, had to attend a lunch at a friend's place, then go directly for dinner with with some old friends. Then by the time I got home, it was too late and was very tired (about 1.00am!). Next day, hardly had time as I had to shoot before lunch, had to attend another lunch with very dear friends. I cleaned the weapon in the evening. I sometimes clean my weapon just for the pleasure of it, this time it got too too hectic. (please also note that I am leading bachelor life these days, so have to do the chores on my own, not mentioned in above narration.)
I did check the gun for lube after first session, I had applied grease on slide/frame rails, and there was still plenty of it, almost as if not fired the weapon, didn't need re-application :)

Sharp Shooter

@Saif.........Bro, thanks for the pleasure I had, to check all above targets "live" in LHR! ;)

Anyhow, on rechecking them again here, I remember I had exactly this question for you, on the spot in LHR:

"Do you feel any specific cause/error for these fliers yourself?"

And thinking about it, if I ignore these occasional, yet still regular fliers, I must say again, rest of your shooting is superb bro, what are you complaining about?

A bit more concentration will give you the results that you're looking for. Best of luck. Regards. :)

PS.........Noting that you enter empty ranges with no people around, the so-called "distraction" seems more of a mental "metaphor", I'm sure the end of bachelor life will make you a better shooter, anyways! Lols! ;) :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@AK47 sb,
Thank you again for the encouragement. I am not 'complaining', it is a 'statement' defining my 'shooting' condition in these 'bachelorhood' days, very well described by the 'fliers' ;) :mrgreen:
As for the reason of the fliers you can see on the targets posted above, I could come up with below:
1. Jerking/flinching in some cases anticipating a shot, and these are usually between 5'o'clock and 7'o'clock, and perhaps at about 12'o'clock too could be assigned to pushing in anticipation.
2. Shooting technique errors, which will be more clear and amplified once I start shooting from 25mtrs. These can be seen at 3'o'clock and 9'o'clock.
3. Above all, concentration I shoot 45-47/50 more than once. I also shot a 25/50!
4. I need to practice and as polish my shooting stance, grip etc. I am not sure if I have a proper stance and grip yet, although I try to shoot in a position where I am comfortable, and feel natural. The stance is isosceles type..

TGF Expert Panel

Results from today's sessions.

Today's achievement was making a big hole (vertical line actually), twice with a group of 5 bullets once and 4 bullets later. Please see target below.

Ammo - POF 2Z 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 145/200 (72.5%)

Unfortunately, the group of 5 bullets is in the '5' ring :x

Second target:
Ammo - POF 2Z 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 145/200 (72.5%)

Fliers again.

Third Target
Ammo - POF 2Z 9mm
Distance - 15 m
Score - 152/200 (76%)

The score got a bit better, but I am hovering in the mid-seventies from 15mtrs. The problem is that sometimes I cannot understand or differentiate between a good shot and a bad one. I do not know what caused a flier at 7'0'clock in the 4 ring etc.

I really need to find out the reason for the consistent (and sometimes amazingly accurate) fliers!

However, not being disheartened, I moved to 25 mtrs to amplify my faults. One bullet could not be accounted for, and most likely missed the target. I did not score it, as it appeared very much 'dont score me please' type :lol:

Guys, please advise on what I am doing wrong, and how to correct it? I still can't shoot straight..
My point of impact today was to the left today. Will try to figure out. Comments welcome.

Marksman

Saif bro, after all I've heard of the TS, the only other thing I could think of is the Chechmate bro :idea:

As for your shooting, I am not at all the one to give advice on range shooting, but I will put my two cents in bro. I have been looking at your targets for the past 30 mins, very closely :ugeek: . First of all I will suggest you to do is (since I haven't seen you firing), instead of starting at 15 meters, start at 5 meters and the proceed on to 10 meters, then 15. What this will do is help you to figure out how your body and mind handles the pistol while firing, so you can figure out which was a well placed shot and how you placed it. After looking at the targets, I strongly believe that you have a great potential for range shooting. At the same time I think the problem lies in your grip and the the movement of the trigger. From what I have noticed of the Shadow, (because it is a very accurate weapon) its not a very forgiving gun when it comes to human errors while range shooting. I've noticed that a lot of your shots are going towards your left, try adjusting your grip angle and the placement of finger on the trigger. Also looking at the all the fliers I think that when you squeeze the trigger your body flinches a bit (I think).

Another thing that will help you is dry practicing. One useful method is to, stand in front of a wall, come to your normal shooting stance, while aiming with the sights, with the tip of your gun touch the wall and choose a point or a mark on the wall that will be your target, move several inches back and start firing, what this will do is point out any irregularities or inconsistencies or other problems with your grip, the placement of your trigger finger, squeezing the trigger, breathing etc. I have seen this technique helping out a lot of individuals.

Hope this helps you bro.

Happy shooting. :)

"The Strength of a nation is not measured by its ability to Wage Wars, rather its ability to prevent them"

"Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum"

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Thank you for the advice mhrehman bro. I will definitely look into all mentioned aspects and try out the method pointed by you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next