THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Deathrow - My Learning Curve

Marksman

Asalam o Alaikum all,

Today was my second attempt of shooting at 25 meters.

Date: 30-03-14
Weapon: Caracal F
Ammo: China Red Box
Cal: 9 MM
Distance: 25 Meters
Range: Airman`s Club

Before I post the results, I shall share the learning for today. SA told me something and I went against it, hence had to bare the consequences.

Upon firing my first string, as in my previous sessions, I felt that the bullets are going a little high and left, so I tried to control that through aiming at a different point in each string. Result being that I formed a big scatter of bullets all over the target and no obvious groupings in a particular area. In my previous range session at ASCC, SA had told me very specifically that just aim for the bullseye and let the groups form, but I tried to control the grouping.

Lesson Learned: Listen to what seniors tell you carefully and do as they say. Anyway I was not that disheartened. By the fifth string that I shot, I was getting the grip of controlling the vertical spread.

Here's the Picture of my scatter today:

Anyhow another reason is that I could not focus properly. A guy standing right next to me was shooting an Ak47 and another group next to him were shooting a Vepr 12 and Akdal MKA1919 so you guys can just imagine what it must have been like. And they were all rapid firing like crazy. Anyhow, lets see if seniors have something to point out in my splatter.

Last edited by Deathrow on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Group markings are not visible.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

I can't open the picture of target .

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Deathrow,

As for the shooting part, SA is a very good coach and if you follow the advices given to you like CHAIN - OF - COMMAND, you will be surprised as to what wonders you can achieve... :)

However, there's one thing I would like to add here. Since you mentioned the guys next to you on rapid fire. I was once told by my coach to disengage completely from the external world and only focus on the internal world. Internal world is defined as the box where only three things exist i.e. the gun, the shooter and the target. As for the shooting part, I'm sure you can probably do that better than an average shooter already, but before you get into your shooting stance it would really help you to first get into the mindset of disengaging yourself from the external world and just stay in your box. It really is possible to focus so much that the sound of firing will sound like music to your ears while you focus on the front sight of your gun. I can tell you from my experience that when such focus is acquired, you can feel the target drawing towards you and up next to your front sight, and you can then shoot your string down range making each shot as fresh-from the beginning-new shot and make it count...

My 02 only...

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

NG... Thank you, I know exactly what you mean and that is exactly what I was required to do.

Another reason why I was unable to do so is cuz at Airman's club, the targets are fixed, to increase the distance you have to move back so if someone is shooting at 10m or at 15m and you want to shoot from 20-25 meters, you need to wait...once you do get that chance and the range is clear,.then everybody has their eyes on you... Waiting for you to get done so they can resume. With their show. That situation automatically put my brain in a rush and I was not able to relax since I was the only guy shooting at 25meters and there were too many people there yesterday, who would all wait every time I shot....hope you understand the situation am trying to explain here.

I was thinking is very seriously advising them to make their setup otherwise... The shooters remain at same point and targets are moved back and fro

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Brother these and other recommendation have been forwarded to higher management in past too. Hope this time we see some improvement.
BTW did you witness auto fire there? Thought it was not allowed.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I didn't witness Auto fire but I did witness Rapid fire that turned quite dangerous.... I have previously witnessed an Auto fire with Glock 18 and an Mp5 there previously..

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@Deathrow-What time you visited the range?
FYI, we used to visit ASCCL 10:00-10:30 am and were facing crowded area hence the time was pulled to 9:00am. Not many shooters were on the range and we got enough privacy to carryout practice with concentration and did wrapped up early like 12:00 noon.

Not many shooters hit the range early and suggest the same to you as well.

Airman should improve by offering move-able targets to the shooters to avoid Queuing of shooters who are shooting at different distances. Just in case if this restricts you to visit the range suggest to shift to ASCCL.

Also please try marking your results with a Silver marker on the black for better visibility.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I went around 4:00pm... and basically I was tagged along, else I personally prefer ASCC alot more. and You are right, next time I shall use a silver marker

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Deathrow wrote:
NG... Thank you, I know exactly what you mean and that is exactly what I was required to do.

Another reason why I was unable to do so is cuz at Airman's club, the targets are fixed, to increase the distance you have to move back so if someone is shooting at 10m or at 15m and you want to shoot from 20-25 meters, you need to wait...once you do get that chance and the range is clear,.then everybody has their eyes on you... Waiting for you to get done so they can resume. With their show. That situation automatically put my brain in a rush and I was not able to relax since I was the only guy shooting at 25meters and there were too many people there yesterday, who would all wait every time I shot....hope you understand the situation am trying to explain here.

I was thinking is very seriously advising them to make their setup otherwise... The shooters remain at same point and targets are moved back and fro

I can completely understand where you are coming from. Its a fine balance between accommodating fellow shooters and being able to take your time for the strings. Its not like they paid for your visit or for the ammo that you should oblige them and cut your string short to let them commence. Next time, take the far left end of the range and you will not face this issue any more :)

Timing can also help - you can come earlier and do your strings and then socialize as pointed out by NR... :)

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Yeah NG.. That sounds like a good strategy. I wanted to take the corners but they were both occupied

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Hello Guys....

I have been off from forum from quite some time... Been busy with many many new discoveries and hobbies.. will try to share details but as far as firearms are concerned, the last time I went to the range for pistol shooting was first week of Ramadan.

Anyhow, yesterday I went to the Karsaz range with one of my family friends... below are results of first 4 strings of 5 shots each from 15 meters. Considering that I was feeling quite rusted, I was aiming for 160 plus out of 200...

I managed to do a 166/200. The scoring was done by the Karsaz range master. I was not very disappointed but then again it was nothing to be excited of either. I relaxed, set my mind straight and went for another 4 strings of 5 shots each.

This time I repeated all the instructions given by seniors to my self..... Took a deep breath and started shooting...I forgot everybody else and everything else... nothing existed.. just me, my Cat (Caracal F) and the target. I was aiming for a 170.....well, the results are as below

I managed to pull of a 183/200 from 15 meters wich is my highest score ever from this distance.

The break-up was something like:

10 x 7 = 70
9 x 9 = 81
8 x 4 = 32

Scoring a 183 sure did make my day... but I need to be consistent, consistent with my technique which perhaps maybe came by chance this time but I have to make it an every time habit.

p.s NR.....Congratulations on your new acquisition.... good buy and amazing improvement in your shots

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Deathrow -Excellent results. Assume your results could be 100% if you stay regular on forum from 15M. I presume you can easily achieve 150 plus on 25M in present condition. Though you have natural talent and staying regular will help you fetching better score, all you need is staying regular on the forum and suggest to visit minimum twice weekly.

You can certainly achieve much much better score if you give serious attention to shooting.

Give a serious thought to it.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Very nice shooting. Consistency is what it matters. Keep up the practice!

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Thank you NR.... I totally agree with you..Natural talent only gets you so far....we need to practice where we come to a point when the basics are totally embedded into your muscle memory... Every time I have a bad shot, I know what I have done wrong...

Reading an article about improving accuracy and shooting tips makes you say to your self 'is that it..?' but doing it right every time and to your best takes much practice and time... anyhow, your CZ has taken over my Mind

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wajeeh Hassan... Thankyou for your kind words and appriciation

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Great shooting Deathrow. With this comeback, I think you can easily smash the 25M target with a surprising result should you stay consistent.

With serious attitude towards improving your skills, 25M will give you a far better area of improvement than 15M at this stage...

Just one suggestion - one can improve drastically if the group size is monitored regularly, of each string shot. Getting an overall score at 180+ surely means you have what it takes, but making tighter groups will take you up the last mile zone :)

Looking forward to seeing your dedication and improvements... :)

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Excellent shooting DR. After ramadan is quite a long time u seems to be in good knick. Keep practicing bro and stay regular on range.

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

;) NG.. Thank you for your appreciation...the thought of doing 25m does send a cold shiver through my spine... but I guess it's worth an attempt. Probably the next time I got I will do 4 strings at 15m and 4 strings at 25m... and let's see how thing's turn out...and once again, thanks for the hearing protection... It's still the only one I have and the only one I am using to date.. ;)

Thanks Optimus.... so are you still here in Pakistan or have you moved..?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Im still here waiting for visa

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

@ Deathrow, very good results. Have you also got a CZ? I remember you had a Caracal?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

six_shooter wrote:
@ Deathrow, very good results. Have you also got a CZ? I remember you had a Caracal?

He owns a Caracal.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

CZ has always been my Dream..even before I got a Caracal F...but the only handgun I have for HD, SD and range is a Caracal F....

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I have been occupied with work like crazy... But just to update my peeps and seniors, went to ASCC last Sunday in the morning and managed to do a 184/200 (But on a TGF target). I was happy with the results..I will also try to upload pictures of my target...

What I have learned so far is: Working with the basics every single time, that's what it is all about. Peace of mind, focus, breathing, correct sight picture and FOCUS on the front sight, the trigger pull, relaxing the shoulders and making sure you are not taking any stress, hold the gun only tight enough as you would in a proper hand shake (golden advice from one of the seniors), working all of this time every single time is the trick.

I am thinking of trying out the 25 meter target next time..... Any special tips?

NG, you are one of my inspirations, I can never forget the day you won the 25 meter at Karsaz with your CF98... (or was it Np42?)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thats a great score esp with Caracal. Bravo!!

Profile E-mail