THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Deathrow - My Learning Curve

Marksman

Asalam o Alaikum All,

Today was one interesting day for me...I have been shooting for a little over a year but lately have been pretty rusty. I was a regular visitor of Airmen`s Club and very rarely would visit the Karsaz Range. Ed never liked the Airmen`s and we would always make plan to one day, one fine day goto the ASCC Range but the thought of actually driving all the way there always managed drain our drive.

However due to me being occupied with my family and also the change of management at Airmen`s, I have not shot since past 5 months. Today was my first visit with the TGF Crew and also my first visit to the ASCC and I loved every bit of it, specially the T-Shirts, and actually meeting up the members upfront and I must agree, except the few that I already knew before, the others turned out to be totally different then how I had pictured them to be... Anyhow getting back on topic, shooting after such a long time I started off my first 4 strings of 5 shots (1 string was SnB JHP) + test 1 steel bullet shot and this is what the group of 21 shots at 10M looked like:

Alhumdulillah I was very happy to see the results and this is one of the reasons why every-time I even consider getting rid of my Caracal F, I change my mind. SA was kind enough to give me some instructions and tips right away and asked me to shift on the 25 meter target right away and to be very honest, my throat got dry for a minute just thinking about it. I have never shot beyond 20 meters, that too very rarely.

However, if we want to improve, we got to stretch out right?......I tried 2 strings of 5 shots each at 25M and this is what my Group (should I even call that a group?) looked like.....

My shots suddenly were flying right left and center... I am not embarrassed, neither am I disappointed... I went today to discover and to learn... and that is my objective every time I go to the range. I am really looking forward to the Precision Shooting Training Sessions that have been organized by our humble seniors...Insha Allah and really looking forward to get some guidance from whichever coach I am assigned under.

@ NR.... I know how punctual you are, I heard the tales from ED and Skywatcher... trust me, we really did try, only if we did not had to get CNG in ED`s Car.....

@ ED and Skywatcher.... The result does not matter... We know we tried...We tried to make a difference...

Alhumdulillah, Over all a good day and a good experience with good people... looked forward to the TGF Snorkeling Event Insha Allah

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Deathrow - My Learning Curve

Site Admin

Deathrow,

It's a pleasure to have you as part of TGF group. InshaAllah, within a few range sessions and with the right counselling, your groups @ 25M will soon shrink down to 4 to 5 inch groups and from there on, it'll be up to your patience and perseverance how far you go. But while observing your mindset and approach, i am confident that you'll excel in precision shooting.

Stick to one coach and continue following his guidance for at least three months. Avoid seeking advice from multiple shooters. Be regular to the range, at least two to three visits per month are necessary. If the range seems far, try to tag along with other members and come in groups. Now, Alhamdolillah, with active range visitors growing, we have people visiting the range in multiple groups with different meeting points in different parts of the city. Try to tag along with a group which suits your route. Pool cars and share fuel costs = saves everyone some money ;)

When practicing, you have to be focused with undivided attention being given to the basic fundamentals and technique. While practicing, distance yourself from the crowd. Choose a shooting bay which is on the extreme left side of the range. If a friend walks up to you and starts talking with you in the middle of your shooting session, politely ask him to let you finish your session.

Next time you plan to visit the range, PM me and I'll make sure I take out some dedicated time to spend with you at the range going over basic fundamentals.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Excellent and very impressive shooting results!
:text-bravo:

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Excellent groups, perfect grip and perfect stance.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Impressive 10m results.
By practicing and focusing of Senior's guides you will be performing extra ordinary.

BTW can I ask why you moved to 25m from 10m so early?

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Optimus wrote:
Impressive 10m results.
By practicing and focusing of Senior's guides you will be performing extra ordinary.

Deathrow wrote:
SA was kind enough to give me some instructions and tips right away and asked me to shift on the 25 meter target right away and to be very honest, my throat got dry for a minute just thinking about it.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Deathrow wrote:
Today was my first visit with the TGF Crew and also my first visit to the ASCC and I loved every bit of it, specially the T-Shirts, and actually meeting up the members upfront and I must agree, except the few that I already knew before, the others turned out to be totally different then how I had pictured them to be...

:think:

So, how had you pictured us before you met us?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

SA wrote:
Deathrow,

It's a pleasure to have you as part of TGF group. InshaAllah, within a few range sessions and with the right counselling, your groups @ 25M will soon shrink down to 4 to 5 inch groups and from there on, it'll be up to your patience and perseverance how far you go. But while observing your mindset and approach, i am confident that you'll excel in precision shooting.

Stick to one coach and continue following his guidance for at least three months. Avoid seeking advice from multiple shooters. Be regular to the range, at least two to three visits per month are necessary. If the range seems far, try to tag along with other members and come in groups. Now, Alhamdolillah, with active range visitors growing, we have people visiting the range in multiple groups with different meeting points in different parts of the city. Try to tag along with a group which suits your route. Pool cars and share fuel costs = saves everyone some money ;)

When practicing, you have to be focused with undivided attention being given to the basic fundamentals and technique. While practicing, distance yourself from the crowd. Choose a shooting bay which is on the extreme left side of the range. If a friend walks up to you and starts talking with you in the middle of your shooting session, politely ask him to let you finish your session.

Next time you plan to visit the range, PM me and I'll make sure I take out some dedicated time to spend with you at the range going over basic fundamentals.

SA,

A dual pleasure for me, to be part of the TGF crew and also to personally meet you yesterday at the range. I will be really looking forward to that dedicated time from you and to go over the basic fundamentals. Thank you for all the advises and guidance. As of yesterday only, I have figured out the tagging along formula used by majority of fellow members.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

SA-

Hehehe....Well, what I had in mind was a guy with a goatie or frenchi, who likes smoking Benson & hedges, aged early 30's, tan skin..... But Alhumdulillah I must say that looking at the actual you, I was much more glad...

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Textile Doctor, Foxhound1, Optimus and SA,

Once again, thank you very much for such kinds words and appreciation. It's great to see the team work on this forum.. All the Support, Appreciation, Constructive Criticism and Competitiveness has helped / will help us all to become so much better and attend to our passion in a professional and organized manner...

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Hmmm See you there at range coming Sunday.
Very "tight" schedule these days.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Deathrow - good shooting...
Will like to see more of your shooting at 25M

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Deathrow wrote:
SA-

Hehehe....Well, what I had in mind was a guy with a goatie or frenchi, who likes smoking Benson & hedges, aged early 30's, tan skin..... But Alhumdulillah I must say that looking at the actual you, I was much more glad...

Two points for you

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

FK wrote:
Deathrow wrote:
SA-

FK, I'll be 36 this June. Kyon meri umer kum kerwa rahay ho?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

So boss asked you. I had the same feeling when I was asked by SA to shoot from 25m.
Keep Practicing brother.
SA wrote:
Optimus wrote:
Impressive 10m results.

Deathrow wrote:
SA was kind enough to give me some instructions and tips right away and asked me to shift on the 25 meter target right away and to be very honest, my throat got dry for a minute just thinking about it.

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Impressive result for a first time 25m target.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

HMR... Thankyou

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Death row .
That is some good shooting bro , specially first time at 25 meters ..
Happy Shooting

Regards .

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Usama,

Thank you brother. Looking forward to the guidance of seniors for improvement and for them to point out my mistakes so that I may work upon them

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Deathrow wrote:
Usama,

Thank you brother. Looking forward to the guidance of seniors for improvement and for them to point out my mistakes so that I may work upon them

Masha Allah I see you as a good shooter by birth , I am sure with some practice
with basics you will be shooting some nice groups very soon :greetings-waveyellow:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
FK wrote:
Deathrow wrote:
SA-

FK, I'll be 36 this June. Kyon meri umer kum kerwa rahay ho?

Ah..okaye, one point deducted.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Well you still manage two points.... After the last water frenzy and saltwater fishing trips, I do have been blessed with a well-tanned skin :D

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
Well you still manage two points.... After the last water frenzy and saltwater fishing trips, I do have been blessed with a well-tanned skin :D

Not exactly a learning curve for Deathrow to be honest :P

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

NaveedGhani wrote:
SA wrote:

Not exactly a learning curve for Deathrow to be honest :P

Lol, he he... Oh well.. At least I got something somewhere right....

An advice on something guys, I think I am left eye dominant plus I shoot with both eyes open... I shoot with both eyes open always to simulate a real life situation.. Hope am not doing anything wrong here....

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ Deathrow,

KBW wrote:
Dominent eye matters more in shotgun shooting where one has to keep both eyes open. When both eyes are open, dominant eye will automatically take over.

If a shotgun shooter shoots with right hand but has a left master (dominant) eye, than the easiest method is to close the master eye and shoot with right eye open. The moment shooter closes one eye in shotgun shooting, his depth perception will be effected which will have effect on his shooting proficiency. This would mean that his flying shots will never be as good as another shooter with same shooting skills who shoots with both eyes open. However, he will have to live with this disadvantage as it is natural but with more practice, he can improve and do quite well.

I am a right hander with left master eye. I follow the bird with both eyes open and before pressing the trigger, I close my left eye. It is difficult to do at the start but with practice, it can be done. In rifle shooting, master eye doesn't make a difference. In handgun shooting, one can easily change his shooting hand if he shoots with both hands and wants to shoot with one eye close but it's not a compulsion. One may continue shooting with the other eye (non-dominant) if he finds problems in shooting with the weaker hand. For around 25 years, I shot with my right hand. I changed my shooting hand from right to left in 2009 and faced no problems. Since last one year, I am shooting with both eyes open and still there is no problem. It's far less taxing to shoot with both eyes open. One may cover the eye but should not close it. So it doesn't make any difference in rifle shooting and little difference in pistol shooting. But in shotgun shooting, dominant eye does make lot of difference.

People talk of methods regarding training the other eye as master eye. Well, not really sure about the productivity of those methods though theoretically, the seems quite convincing.

regards

Profile E-mail