THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: NG - Range Practice Sessions | Results

TGF Managing Committee

Today was my first range session, and honestly it was a pleasant and a heart warming session. I was accompanied by textiledoctor, and coached by brothers FK and Furrukh.

As soon as we landed, FK briefed on the range safety, and the norms of the ASCCL range...then the briefed us on the ammo safety measures.

After the safety measures, started the basic gun handling briefing, the grip, the pressure points, the posture/stance, and how to take aim at a target. Very clearly and precisely, FK not only briefed us, but showed us how to and the reasons behind it. Strong emphasis on breathing practice and the follow through.

After all the theory, I was given a green light to shoot the first 5 bullets ever on a range...I was delighted to see the third round go through the bullseye, but was even more chuffed to see distinct groups...

jpg images

image hosting

As soon as the first round was over, FK went through the results with me in detail, and then asked me to focus on the front sight only. I complained about the gun slipping out of my hands every now and then when I fire, so he went through the gripping technique all over again with me. The next few rounds, 5 shots each were as follows...

online photo storage

image hosting above 5 mb

capture software

free image hosting

capture software

I was clearly seeing the improvements keeping all the theory in mind, and every advise that brother FK had to give...After a short break, and some refreshments, I got back up and posted a new target to aim at. This time, I had asked Furrukh a few pointers as well with regards to the follow through and breathing, and taking a break after every shot. The results were clear...

photo hosting

photo sharing sites

screen shots

pc screen shot

I have noted one thing very seriously...I remember KBW mentioned advised to keep an inclined stance rather than a straight or declined stance....so I tried that, and while shooting at an inclined stance, tilting the neck just slightly on the right really made a big difference on my aim. It also relaxed my arms, I was able to get the tension off my elbows to absorb the recoil as well...

All in all, it was a very fruitful session, not just the shooting bit, but the pleasure of having the TGF members alongside to walk me through from scratch.

FK and Furrukh - Thank you for everything today. Your selfless efforts are duly appreciated...!!!

Cheers...

Last edited by NaveedGhani on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NG - Range Visit Sunday 9th of Feb '14

Site Admin

That's a decent start. I suppose you were shooting from 15 Meters. It would be a good idea to start writing the following with a marker on each target before to take the pictures:

1) Date
2) Distance
3) Gun and Ammo

This will enable you to maintain a detailed record of your shooting history and will be very useful in future for reference.

The key is to be regular at the range till the time the basic techniques of shooting become embedded in your instincts.

Happy shooting :)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Really selfless act by Furrukh and FK bro. Guys it takes a lot of dough to get this type of personalized coaching. Hats off to MC and Admin/MODs.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

The distance was 10 mtrs. 15 is quiet alot for a beginer and 5 is too close to judge shooters errors. So i advised NG to start of at 10. It was awkward teaching a teacher :) but NG follows advice to the word and i appreciate that he asks questions. Every minute confusion he has he will ask to be clarified. I rreally appreciate that about him. It was a pleasure meeting up with both NG Aand TD both fine gentlemen. NG has good taste we share the same brsnd of smokes also :)

PS: NG whatever we are trying to do is no big act. We are only trying to replicate what our seniors on the forum did for us. KBW sb would put in alot of time doing write ups to correct our basics, HMR spent hours at the range without shooting just to accomodate us. SA was kind enough to give pointers and correct our mistakes. Its just a way of buliding up a community. Selflessly collect whatever information and knowledge you can find and then selflessly give it back to others. That has always been the TGF spirit. That is what keeps us bonded.

Profile E-mail  

Good shooting. With FK and Furrukh by your side, you will improve quickly.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Furrukh you must have told me i would love to join you :angry-fire: :angry-fire:

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

NG...... Thank you very much for all the co-ordination and taking me along. It was very first time for both of us at range but your results are far much better then mine!
I will try to upload my result tomorrow.
Had a great time with you, FK Bro, Furrukh Bro and all other TGF members...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

NG
I am a rookie in guns to comment on your shooting but your results speaks itself. Very decent results as your first time and all will land in black if you stay regular on the range.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
That's a decent start. I suppose you were shooting from 15 Meters. It would be a good idea to start writing the following with a marker on each target before to take the pictures:

1) Date
2) Distance
3) Gun and Ammo

This will enable you to maintain a detailed record of your shooting history and will be very useful in future for reference.

The key is to be regular at the range till the time the basic techniques of shooting become embedded in your instincts.

Happy shooting :)

Thanks SA, it means a lot. I was aiming 10M down range, and I did write the legends on my target after every 5 shots was circling and making groups etc. The date is there, distance gun ammo is missing, so yes that is something noted for all the future sessions...

The techniques were introduced for the first time today, however I was not expecting such a result! Before this range session, every aim that I have ever tried to take used to end up in the feet of the target, literally...! After listening to the techniques and applying them I can see all the things that I have been doing wrong, and all the things that I am still doing wrong...It is definitely not a matter of trial and error, its more a game of doing what should be done...

All the support from FK and Furrukh, don't have words to express but it can make all the difference between life and death...

Appreciate it to bits guys...Cheers...

Last edited by NaveedGhani on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

HMR wrote:
Really selfless act by Furrukh and FK bro. Guys it takes a lot of dough to get this type of personalized coaching. Hats off to MC and Admin/MODs.

not just a lot of dough, but sweeeeettt!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought just breathing would be a part of shooting, and the analogy of shooting in 6 seconds or letting the shot go is very wise...

HMR, one who strives to learn always learns...!!! :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

FK wrote:
The distance was 10 mtrs. 15 is quiet alot for a beginer and 5 is too close to judge shooters errors. So i advised NG to start of at 10. It was awkward teaching a teacher :) but NG follows advice to the word and i appreciate that he asks questions. Every minute confusion he has he will ask to be clarified. I rreally appreciate that about him. It was a pleasure meeting up with both NG Aand TD both fine gentlemen. NG has good taste we share the same brsnd of smokes also :)

PS: NG whatever we are trying to do is no big act. We are only trying to replicate what our seniors on the forum did for us. KBW sb would put in alot of time doing write ups to correct our basics, HMR spent hours at the range without shooting just to accomodate us. SA was kind enough to give pointers and correct our mistakes. Its just a way of buliding up a community. Shelfishly collect whatever information and knowledge you can find and then selflessly give it back to others. That has always been the TGF spirit. That is what keeos us bonded.

My profession, and my passion...!!!
Looking forward to take the torch that was given to you by your seniors, however it might take years to get there (earning it all the way)...and its only possible with your guidance and help and support....

Thank you once again for having me...
Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

This is a very good start Naveed sb. It's apparent that you have been briefed well and you have also been able to follow the instructions well. :text-bravo:

A couple of suggestions for improvement.

First Suggestion: You have the basics known to you. The only thing that I can point out here is that your left foot is too much forward. This is not a balanced stance. If you are a right hander than your left foot may be slightly ahead of right foot. And you must not bend your head to take aim or to acquire the sight picture. Keep the basics in your mind and for the next hundred rounds, you will not get any advice from anyone and neither would you ask comments of anyone on the range when you are shooting. ( you may do so once you are done with your shooting). This means no more asking from anyone that how am I shooting? do you see any fault in my target? how can I start making a 2" group immediately? etc etc. Just shoot the rounds as instructed, following the basics that have already been briefed to you.

Second Suggestion: Follow the First Suggestion very strictly.

Please do keep in mind that this is a process that will take its time. Through your talent, dedication and practice, you can reduce the time required for reaching a better level but can not eliminate it. Practice is the key. Follow the basics. Best of luck :greetings-waveyellow:

PS: Group size should stay as the unit of measuring success / improvement. Please ignore the scoring rings on the target. Measure the group size everytime. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Gunpsycho wrote:
Furrukh you must have told me i would love to join you :angry-fire: :angry-fire:

This trip was well discussed before hand and a lot of people were looking forward to it. I don't know of any other means of alerts you might have but just reading the thread would've been enough :P

Next Sunday InshaAllah, and probably sometime mid week I'll be going there again to apply a few more suggestions...

Will keep posted with the timings...

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

textiledoctor wrote:
NG...... Thank you very much for all the co-ordination and taking me along. It was very first time for both of us at range but your results are far much better then mine!
I will try to upload my result tomorrow.
Had a great time with you, FK Bro, Furrukh Bro and all other TGF members...

Its not a problem...and I appreciate the gesture...
Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

NR wrote:
NG
I am a rookie in guns to comment on your shooting but your results speaks itself. Very decent results as your first time and all will land in black if you stay regular on the range.

Thank you NR, I was just a while back making a monthly plan to be at the range for 25 rounds every 3 days. I understand and realize there is a lot of practice needed to have the basics into my instincts...

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW wrote:
This is a very good start Naveed sb. It's apparent that you have been briefed well and you have also been able to follow the instructions well. :text-bravo:

A couple of suggestions for improvement.

First Suggestion: You have the basics known to you. The only thing that I can point out here is that your left foot is too much forward. This is not a balanced stance. If you are a right hander than your left foot may be slightly ahead of right foot. And you must not bend your head to take aim or to acquire the sight picture. Keep the basics in your mind and for the next hundred rounds, you will not get any advice from anyone and neither would you ask comments of anyone on the range when you are shooting. ( you may do so once you are done with your shooting). This means no more asking from anyone that how am I shooting? do you see any fault in my target? how can I start making a 2" group immediately? etc etc. Just shoot the rounds as instructed, following the basics that have already been briefed to you.

Second Suggestion: Follow the First Suggestion very strictly.

Please do keep in mind that this is a process that will take its time. Through your talent, dedication and practice, you can reduce the time required for reaching a better level but can not eliminate it. Practice is the key. Follow the basics. Best of luck :greetings-waveyellow:

PS: Group size should stay as the unit of measuring success / improvement. Please ignore the scoring rings on the target. Measure the group size everytime. :)

KBW sahib - you don't have any idea how anxiously I was waiting for your post. And to be honest with you, I was expecting a lot more pointers than just the stance and keep practicing.

I would like to enquire one thing before I actually go back to the range. Today, when I made my first 5 shots, my stance was side ways which was very comfortable for me...but then FK as well as the RM told me to stand straight ahead and both feet level. With this stance, I was having a lot of trouble leveling both hands up to the level of the aim. I then remembered your post about bending the elbows so I released a bit of tension on the arm and that eased the stance to an extent. I fired 10 rounds in this stance and then tried to take the left foot out and lean forward slightly. Having the left foot out made my stance slightly sideways, which is why the neck bending proved fruitful.

Looking at my results, I enquired both FK and Furrukh the same question. I have a pattern, and a very distinct one. Every 5 shots, first one lands at 7 below the zero, second and third goes right from zero about 8-7, and the rest go pretty much where I aim for...this is not once or twice, I had noticed the pattern for almost 4 sets of 5 rounds each...I couldn't identify why this is the case however I am making groups as desired...Had these groups been erratic, or in any other part of the target I wouldn't have asked this question. Is there anything you can suggest regarding this?

Also, please suggest if I go with my comfort zone as in my stance, or should I accustom myself from scratch with the standard up straight stance???

I can totally understand where you are coming from with the suggestion of not asking anyone anything further and just continue with the basics...I do plan to do exactly that, and you will see random posts with target pics on my thread...I normally don't ask such questions as in HOW am I shooting, rather I enquire WHY a certain thing happened and which of the 7 pointers can improve that specific thing...I hope I'm allowed to do that otherwise I feel I will be wasting ammo with trial and error before I actually find out the reason (that is IF I am able to on my own)...

Please help.
Cheers...
Thank you KWB again - - with your guidance, FK and Furrukh's support, I feel a hell lot more comfortable

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Every single pointer has its reasons, and I can appreciate these suggestions and basics can make one excel quickly. However, one should also enquire the reasons and not just the pointers, as it will help while implementation.

KWB Sahab, please elaborate on:
And you must not bend your head to take aim or to acquire the sight picture
When arms are leveled with the shoulders, elbows bend, and keeping one foot slightly out, it will automatically make one arm longer and the other shorter. Due to this, the neck slightly bends to accommodate the variance in arm's length to take the aim. Please if you can elaborate why neck should not be bent - is it just a general practice or does it really make a difference in acquiring the aim? Or is it the health and safety reason?

I am eager to understand and make this absolutely spot on for my next visit. My plan for next couple of trips would be to implement and try to make one pointer right to an extent that I wouldn't have to worry about it in the following session. Not that I wont focus on rest of the things, but the primary focus would be one for each session. Eventually in 7 trips I will have all the pointers worked out. Is this a good strategy to work with?

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I am sorry to be a pain in the back side, but once I get into something I do tend to get on nerves quite easily till I can at least identify the flaws and acknowledge them. Once this is taken care of, I can then easily focus on my practice knowing that I have acquired all the required basic knowledge for my level, without anyone's intervention or vise versa...

Please be kind enough to feed in your comments...

Thank you once again, and please bear with me.
:)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

No need to be sorry. The spirit behind KBW's advice was to highlight the need to repeatedly practicing the basics fundamentals so that they get engrained in your instincts and for this patience is a prerequisite. He didn't mean that you go mute henceforth and literally do not ask for guidance. KBW is a great teacher and a very patient one. :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

OK, my suggestion stays the same. You are not sick so don't need a medicine yet. You should fire 100 rounds without asking a question. Let things go wrong, if they will. Just shoot 100 more rounds and than we will talk. In the meanwhile, just take care of the following......

:arrow: Stance, just keep your left foot slightly forward, not too far forward. May be just a few inches ahead of right foot. Make sure the weight of your body is slightly leaning forward, just slightly. Keeping the left foot slightly forwards will help you in transfering the body weight forward. You must not be leaning back. Center of gravity of your body should be leaning forward, not backwards. Keep a slight bend in the elbows, just slight bend. Keep your head straight and relaxed and bring the gun sights between your eyes and the target. Do not bend your head / neck to do this. Just keep them straight and relaxed.

:arrow: Breath, take a long breath and let 3/4 of the air go out. Hold it there and now, do not breath till you have pressed the trigger.

:arrow: Acquire the sight picture, ie, align the front sight tip in the center of the rear sight notch and then them with the POA. After doing this, shift the focus from the target to the front sight tip. DO NOT FOCUS ON TARGET.

:arrow: Squeeze the trigger slowly and make sure you complete your shot in 7-8 seconds. If you cant do that, just bring the hand down, breath and again repeat the whole process. NO JERKS WHILE SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER, JUST A CONTINUOUS AND CONSISTENT SQUEEZE TILL THE TIME TRIGGER BREAKS. Trigger control is the most important of all the shooting skills. Please note that this 7-8 seconds time is for the initial stages only and then, if you wish to continue with precision shooting as a sport. If you just want to practice for self defence or want to compete in a IPSC / IDPA style competitions, you will have to learn to do the whole process mentioned above in a quicker time frame, bringing it to a level where it looks like rapid shooting. But for the moment, discard this comment and only do what is given in red.

:arrow: When at home, keep doing dry rehearsals of above. MAKE SURE THE GUN IS EMPTY. Dry firing should be done with same seriousness as the actual firing otherwise it will be a wastage of time and effort.

:arrow: Do not hold the gun too tight neither too loose; just enough to make sure it doesn't move / slip in your hand when the shot is fired. Your hold should be such that it exerts uniform pressure on the grip. After the gun is fired, you will experience muzzle flip (the muzzle will move up and then come down). Do not make any extra effort to reduce muzzle flip. Aim again and once the sight picture is acquired, then bring the gun down for rest before firing the next shot. This is called follow through. Please note that bringing the hand down after every shot is for initial stages only or for precision shooting events. After you have attained a certain level of efficiency (say 5" group from 25 m), you don't need to bring the hand down unless you are doing some precision shooting drills / practice.

Please, do remember that one should only take that much medicine which is needed. Taking extra or unwanted medicine won't make you healthy at once rather it can further complicate the issue. If one can get well without a medicine, it is the best. Please do not confuse yourself by asking too many questions. Just memorise the basic steps told to you at the range and practice them again and again. Do not bother about the shots where they are hitting. Make sure you are doing the things as told, exactly as told, everytime and all the time. Please forget about the pattern of shots that you are making at the moment. It is absolutely irrelevant at this stage. Just do the basic drills correctly. Please REMAIN CONFIDENT and SELF ASSURED OF YOUR ABILITIES.

You must strictly AVOID CONFUSING YOURSELF by asking too many questions. I have seen your tartgets and you are doing well. Had there been a serious disease, I would have pointed it out in the previous post. That means you are healthy and do not need any medicine. Please do not make yourself sick by taking medicines un-necessarily. Just practice. We will talk after you have fired 100 rounds with full concentration and recorded the group sizes of every 5 shots that you fire. And please do not mind my straight forward style. :)

I wish you best of luck. :greetings-waveyellow:

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

The above post is a "must read" for ALL new shooters. Read it, memorise it, refer to it before doing dry-practice at home or before going to the range.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

This post is must read for all shooters. KBW sb thank you very much for your time and effort for our improvement.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

KBW wrote:

OK, my suggestion stays the same. You are not sick so don't need a medicine yet. You should fire 100 rounds without asking a question. Let things go wrong, if they will. Just shoot 100 more rounds and than we will talk. In the meanwhile, just take care of the following......

:arrow: Stance, just keep your left foot slightly forward, not too far forward. May be just a few inches ahead of right foot. Make sure the weight of your body is slightly leaning forward, just slightly. Keeping the left foot slightly forwards will help you in transfering the body weight forward. You must not be leaning back. Center of gravity of your body should be leaning forward, not backwards. Keep a slight bend in the elbows, just slight bend. Keep your head straight and relaxed and bring the gun sights between your eyes and the target. Do not bend your head / neck to do this. Just keep them straight and relaxed.

:arrow: Breath, take a long breath and let 3/4 of the air go out. Hold it there and now, do not breath till you have pressed the trigger.

:arrow: Acquire the sight picture, ie, align the front sight tip in the center of the rear sight notch and then them with the POA. After doing this, shift the focus from the target to the front sight tip. DO NOT FOCUS ON TARGET.

:arrow: Squeeze the trigger slowly and make sure you complete your shot in 7-8 seconds. If you cant do that, just bring the hand down, breath and again repeat the whole process. NO JERKS WHILE SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER, JUST A CONTINUOUS AND CONSISTENT SQUEEZE TILL THE TIME TRIGGER BREAKS. Trigger control is the most important of all the shooting skills. Please note that this 7-8 seconds time is for the initial stages only and then, if you wish to continue with precision shooting as a sport. If you just want to practice for self defence or want to compete in a IPSC / IDPA style competitions, you will have to learn to do the whole process mentioned above in a quicker time frame, bringing it to a level where it looks like rapid shooting. But for the moment, discard this comment and only do what is given in red.

:arrow: When at home, keep doing dry rehearsals of above. MAKE SURE THE GUN IS EMPTY. Dry firing should be done with same seriousness as the actual firing otherwise it will be a wastage of time and effort.

:arrow: Do not hold the gun too tight neither too loose; just enough to make sure it doesn't move / slip in your hand when the shot is fired. Your hold should be such that it exerts uniform pressure on the grip. After the gun is fired, you will experience muzzle flip (the muzzle will move up and then come down). Do not make any extra effort to reduce muzzle flip. Aim again and once the sight picture is acquired, then bring the gun down for rest before firing the next shot. This is called follow through. Please note that bringing the hand down after every shot is for initial stages only or for precision shooting events. After you have attained a certain level of efficiency (say 5" group from 25 m), you don't need to bring the hand down unless you are doing some precision shooting drills / practice.

Please, do remember that one should only take that much medicine which is needed. Taking extra or unwanted medicine won't make you healthy at once rather it can further complicate the issue. If one can get well without a medicine, it is the best. Please do not confuse yourself by asking too many questions. Just memorise the basic steps told to you at the range and practice them again and again. Do not bother about the shots where they are hitting. Make sure you are doing the things as told, exactly as told, everytime and all the time. Please forget about the pattern of shots that you are making at the moment. It is absolutely irrelevant at this stage. Just do the basic drills correctly. Please REMAIN CONFIDENT and SELF ASSURED OF YOUR ABILITIES.

You must strictly AVOID CONFUSING YOURSELF by asking too many questions. I have seen your tartgets and you are doing well. Had there been a serious disease, I would have pointed it out in the previous post. That means you are healthy and do not need any medicine. Please do not make yourself sick by taking medicines un-necessarily. Just practice. We will talk after you have fired 100 rounds with full concentration and recorded the group sizes of every 5 shots that you fire. And please do not mind my straight forward style. :)

Excellent post...
People like me should get this printed and before every shooting session read it carefully and try to apply accordingly...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW wrote:

KBW - I can't think of any other word but Thank You...!

I have went through this post of yours at least 10 times, trying to imagine my stance and handling the gun every time I go through it. Have already started dry practicing, and will report back with my next range visit.

Appreciate everything you said Brother...
Cheers...

Last edited by NaveedGhani on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
The above post is a "must read" for ALL new shooters. Read it, memorise it, refer to it before doing dry-practice at home or before going to the range.

Yes - he does have a very clear and precise understanding of the situation and to comprehend the advises are easy too...

A big thanks to him again...

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next