THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: What did you Learn during your last Range Visit?

Site Admin

Almost on every range visit I personally either learn something new or get reminded of some basic shooting technique which I had forgotten.

The purpose of this thread is to share such things with each other for collective learning.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What did you Learn during your last Range Visit?

Marksman

I learnt not to fire a .22LR with a bent projectile by forcing it into the chamber and firing it with a supressor fitted.

Damaged the baffles in my suppressor and I had to buy a new one.

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Good topic SA, it just reminded me that I haven't fired a single shot in about 4 months.......WOW :shock: , got to get back into the game. :mrgreen:

"The Strength of a nation is not measured by its ability to Wage Wars, rather its ability to prevent them"

"Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum"

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

IMHO when you goto a range with a specific PLAN to learn, then you start learning.
There are soo many drills that it is a lifetime of learning going to a range. I have practiXed some things but alone when no one is on this type of tracked learning curve is pretty lonesome. MOST of the shooters that i meet are there to burn lead out of barrel. whereas there is so much to learn that it feels almost couple of life time worth of time needed.
The more i shoot the more i realise that i need to shoot more...
AUR DABA KAY PRACTICE KARO ATIQ MIAN!!!
that is what runs through my mind

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I go every time with something specific to learn, reloading encourages that.
Last time I also learned that I am getting better at 50 yards with a handgun! 8-)

Started something different, kinda goofy. Load 5 rounds in your favorite sidearm, target at 50 yards, mentally add dramatic music; it's your last 5 rounds and the bad guy is reloading his rifle, confident you can't hit him from that range...FIRE! :twisted:

Even more Hollywood, shoot weak hand only. :o

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I have learnt that......I still have a lot of learning to do :D

"The Strength of a nation is not measured by its ability to Wage Wars, rather its ability to prevent them"

"Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum"

Profile E-mail  

I have learnt that I am getting better at 10 M with a handgun

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ six_shooter
Thats good to know, But now we are shooting at 15 meters. LOL

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

LAGS wrote:
@ six_shooter
Thats good to know, But now we are shooting at 15 meters. LOL

:mrgreen: And when you will get better at 15 meters, we will be shooting at 25 meters ;)

Profile E-mail  

@ LAGS, I shoot at 10 M and 5 M, so the combined distance is 15 M :lol:
@ KBW guess I will always lag by 10 M :lol:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Works for me Six_shooter.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I have personally witnessed shooters who could not hit a target at 7 yards...and were proud of their "abilities".

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I saw a guy with a Full Auto UZI empty a full magazine ( 30 rounds ) from the sholder ar a 7 yard target, and only had 5 hits.
OH , he thought he was So Darn Good.

Profile E-mail  

@ LAGS and armoredman, that makes me look like a champ in front of those guys.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

There ya go - you learned. They didn't. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

This sunday, SA, gun physco, Zuhaib and myself, headed down to the range, to practice some self defence drill. The basic concern was law and order situations of our city, where sometimes, one finds themselves in an ambush situation. The basic purpose of drill was to engage the targets, while in the car, speedy exit and then engaging the remaining targets out of the car.
However one mistake we were making was, instead using the car as a cover, we were practicing moving towards the targets towards in the open. Next time, i think we should practice firing around the car, using the car as a cover.
But nonetheless, it was a pretty good learning exprience.

Profile E-mail  

@ fk, please give more details. Also pics if possible, this thing is very interesting. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

That's one thing we can't do, with my current range setup, no cars allowed. We do have IDPA that does matches like that. Back in the day we used to set up all kinds of scenarios like that, using cardboard cutouts on our indoor range to stunt double for cars, houses, etc. Ever seen a cardboard tree? Sad...really sad.
Safety has to be an all time high for drills like this - a round into that door frame as you exit could have "dramatic" consequences.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I was wondering the same. Bullets can ricochet from many places when shooting at a vehicle.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ armouredman, we are not allowed to shoot at cars or use them as props at our range. But this particular day, we were practicing shooting at targets from within the car. Sort of practicing for an ambush situation.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

six_shooter wrote:
@ fk, please give more details. Also pics if possible, this thing is very interesting. Thanks

[Note: This was a private range on a privately owned land. One team member was assigned the responsibility of Ranger Officer during the practice. All standards of safety were followed.]

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Nice range.
It looks like it could be right here in parts of Northern Arizona.
Your dirt isn't as red as ours is, but the terrain looks the same.

Profile E-mail  

Thanks SA, a little narrative would help in understanding what sequences were followed.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Remember when you were a new shooter; going to the range for the first time and staring open mouthed at the guy a few lanes over? You may recall the guy who drew his gun with the grace, smoothness and speed of James Bond, seemingly never to shoot a round anywhere except dead center in the bullseye. You probably felt envy and a deep desire to mimic his abilities. Nervously, you started your practice session, and most likely went home happy with a target looking like it was peppered with a shotgun blast.

Now, how are your shooting abilities today? As we grow as shooters, we pick up tips and advice on shooting drills or ways to practice from our friends, family members or any number of others who are more than willing to add their two cents for helping us improve. But, there are as many different opinions for proper drills as there are shooters themselves. It is up to each one of us to determine exactly what drills to utilize in order to attain our highest potential. By this I mean, if you ask a hundred accomplished shooters “What are the best techniques I should employ?” you’ll get 100 different answers.

Now, use common sense. If you watch a great shooter run through his practice session, ask yourself, “What’s he’s doing?” Break it down further—see the whole picture from the ground up. First things first; the stance. Notice how his feet are shoulder-width apart, with the strong-side foot about 4 inches back and a slight bend at the knees. Seat the strong hand grip while the gun is still in the holster, then draw, lifting the gun up while simultaneously rotating the muzzle down range and molding the support hand, gun and strong hand together. Extend the gun forward and up, so the sights interrupt the line of vision and engage the intended target.
You already know all this, so why do your targets look like some kind of strange noodle strainer and not the clean cloverleaf patterns they should be? The answers, my friend, are not blowing in the wind. It’s the way you practice.

During the last ten years of shooting, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, working and shooting with some of the best shooters around. Lucky for me, I have picked up some pretty cool, but simple drills that have helped me not only become a better shooter, but also a better instructor.

If at all possible, it’s always best to shoot with a partner. Doing this helps you to focus on the task at hand, and it also creates a level of competition between you and your buddy. Don’t worry if you go to the range by yourself. People are always willing to join you if just ask.

When shooting with a partner one of the best and simplest drills is the “Rabbit in the Hole.”

Here’s how it goes. First, hang a clean, blank sheet of paper at eye level. Then, Shooter No. 1 attempts to shoot one round in the center of the paper. Shooter #2 very simply attempts to shoot that same hole. This drill not only makes one completely focus on their sights, but also helps with trigger press and follow-through. If you are fortunate enough to be in a range that allows the use of holsters, this drill will increase your draw speed and sight acquisition on the small target (aim small, miss small) as well. If you incorporate this simple drill in your practice session, I promise you will see a positive difference in your shot grouping in no time.
Now the next little bit of food for thought is something I think you are all familiar with. Two of the very best handgun shooters I know have two very different methods of standard practice. The first is a Grand Master shooter and will happily tell you that he sometimes practices until he’s ankle deep in brass. That’s old school and it is fine if you can afford it. The second person is a Master Class shooter and almost never fires a live round, but relies almost solely on dry-fire practice every day to hone his skills.

The point I’m trying to make is shooting drills can be as simplistic or complex as you choose to make them to build your overall skills. One thing holds true no matter what: You need to put the time in each and every day. You’re only going to get out of it what you put into it.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I learned the following. Thanks to a few experienced friends, not only was the range session an eye opener on my amateur skills but heaps of fun too.

1. Gripping Techniques: I'm not sure how to put this in writing so will leave it just like it is
2. Stance: I tend to slouch before a shot, I was taught to stand upright.
3. Safety Measure: Various measures before taking a shot, pointing the muzzle in a safe direction before loading etc

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next